Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Blackberry Bold 9780

I have been a postpaid subscriber of Globe for the longest time.  While most people prefer a prepaid line so as not to worry about phone bills, I chose to maintain a postpaid account primarily because I hate the idea of running out of “load” when I need it most. I am a working mom, you see, and because I have so many things to attend to (mom and work-related duties), the least thing I need is an added task of checking my load balance every now and then to check if I have enough credits to make calls. I also hate having to look for shops to buy call cards. I believe in looking for the best possible postpaid plan, one that suits your usage and lifestyle. I did.
Another nice thing about keeping a postpaid account is the rewards / loyalty program service providers usually have in place for their subscribers. At the end of your holding period, your service provider will usually offer you handsets should you sign up for another lock-up period with them. (Should I say offer? From past experiences, I had to call their customer service hotline to know what the offers were for my account. It is, therefore, very important that you take note of the end of your lock-up period so you’ll know when to call them to inquire about your rewards.)This idea of getting a handset for free every two years, on the average, is a good idea because then you wouldn’t have to worry about the wear-and-tear of your current handset.
Anyway, the key here is to be able to negotiate so that you are happy with the handset you get. A two-year lock-up period is no joke. You have to be happy/satisfied/in-love with your phone during that period. Of course, you also have to manage your demands and expectations. You can’t demand for a free iPhone unit if you are currently on a P500-plan, unless you upgrade to a higher plan.
The holding period for my line ended last September 2011. Because I knew about the loyalty program, I called Globe’s customer hotline and asked about the phones I can get for free should I renew my contract with them. I wasn’t happy with the first set of handset that they offered. I felt they weren’t worth the two-year lock-up period. Another tip: you have to have an idea of the kind of phone that you want. As for me, I reflected on my phone usage and discovered that I am a heavy user of mobile internet. I am very much into social networking sites so I figured my phone has to be capable of giving me access to mobile internet at a decent speed (at the very least). So I read a lot of forums and I asked a lot of friends about current handset units and their specifications until I finally found the handset that will make me happy. I wanted a BlackBerry. No, I wanted a BlackBerry Bold and if I get that unit, I wanted an affordable plan that will include all the BlackBerry services. I was decided to have my line terminated if I didn’t get a BlackBerry unit. I was that determined. So I called the hotline again. We negotiated. I put the phone down and guess what? I got the BlackBerry Bold 9780. I upgraded my line from P800 to P999 but was very happy with the upgrade because it meant having unlimited surfing, all of the BB services, free 10 minutes of calls to Globe/TM, free 200 texts to Globe/TM, and P400 consumable amount. It was perfect for me!
A year has passed. What can I say? I still think I made the right choice. The postpaid plan I got perfectly matched my usage therefore I didn’t exceed my monthly service fee. As for my BlackBerry, I still love it to pieces. Why?
(1)  I have BBM. I get to chat with relatives and friends abroad (even send them pictures) for free! One very nice thing about the BBM is that I know when my message has been delivered and when it has been read by the recipient. Very, very nice!
(2)  I have access to my email anytime, anywhere!
(3)  I have access to Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! I love it!
(4)  I still love its no-nonsense/I-mean-business look. Black and sleek. Bliss!
However…
… I am not quite sure if it’s because I am a heavy user (I surf a lot) but I have to charge my phone every day, on the average.
…there were also instances when the phone shut down on its own. I only noticed when I checked for messages and notifications and found out that it shut down on its own. Again, I am not sure if this is because of normal wear-and-tear. It didn’t happen a lot though. Thank goodness!
… I couldn’t post videos directly to Facebook. (Or I haven’t figured it out until now?) When I right click to send a clip, the options are to YouTube, email, BBM contact and Bluetooth. No Facebook. Sad. L
… it has no FM radio. The newer BlackBerry units, I have heard, have FM radios already. They weren’t out in the market when I got my BB.
… I had to glue the inside lining of the holster after using it for a couple of months only.
…there are areas in my keypad where the “paint” (or whatever you call it) chipped off.
All in all, after a year of being with my BlackBerry, I will give it a rating of 8 (10 being the highest). The good times still outweigh the bad and so, despite its flaws, I can still say that I am one happy BlackBerry user. J
PS: I'm still looking for a picture of my BlackBerry when it was still spankin' new so I can post it side-by-side with its more recent picture. I promise to update this entry soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment